Monday, July 17, 2006

1 year of......

I have been in the UK for 1 year this week. Do I like it?...No. Am I happy?....No. Will I stay?....Yes.

It is 30c today, it will be 34c tomorrow! It doesn't fool me for a minute though, I am waiting for the cold in September. We go out every weekend, walking, going to museums, taking the ferry, even the beach-but in the end it is boring. I miss the people, sights , sounds and smells of Asia.
Haifa in Israel was hit by rockets yesterday. I can remember hitching from there, and to there in 1992. It was my first time outside of Europe.I arrived by ferry from Greece.I loved it, the mix of western and arabic. The music was the first thing I noticed, Arabian dance-rave.The next was the smell of fallafels, and spices, and of course the heat. I had only a few dollars when I arrived. We hitched down to Jerusalem, and at one point found ourselves stranded on a desert road near Jericho, that was only a few hours out of Haifa.I thought 'fuck, I'm stranded in a desert...cool!'
I suppose, this is why I can never really feel settled or happy here, but if Teosdee gets a UK passport, I can get stranded in deserts-with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment