Friday, April 06, 2007

Humane treatment? Or an act of war?

The captured military personnel have spoken for the first time today. As expected they confirmed that they were in Iraqi waters. I had a gps enabled phone in Hong Kong which could locate where I was within 10m, and that was 3 years ago. I could press a button and it would bring up a map-I could also locate where Teosdee was, as her phone was the same, and by inputting her number gave me her location. I digress, the idea that navy vessels don't have the same equipment is laughable, and the released servicemen have said that they had hand-held gps devises. They were taken illegally, and by heavily armed forces. They were kept in solitary confinement and subjected to immense psychological pressure.This from a country that we have not taken a single shot at.
Were they well treated? You decide.

We thought we were going to the British embassy but we got taken to a detention centre, all 15 of us.

We had a blindfold and plastic cuffs, hands behind our backs, heads against the wall. Basically there were weapons cocking. Someone, I'm not sure who, someone said, I quote, 'lads, lads I think we're going to get executed'.

After that comment, someone was sick and as far as I was concerned he had just had his throat cut.

From there we were rushed to a room, quick photo and then stuffed into a cell and didn't see or speak to anyone for six days.
Royal Marine Joe Tindell

No comments:

Post a Comment