Wednesday, August 26, 2009

2 weeks-still smoking, but not drinking!

Update- Kids start school next week, and I start my 'real' interviews. The upshot of these interviews will be that the boys will only attend their new school for about 2 months, as we will have to relocate depending upon which job I get.
Weather is really crap here. Apart from the odd day when it doesn't feel too cold, it is generally shit. Getting used to continuous cold rainy and windy days is not easy-and it is summer!
Do I like being back? Simple answer is no. But I'm not here for me.
I think once we are settled in our home for the next 2/3 years, and I'm busy working and interacting with people, I will be more positive.The place where we live, and where I work is crucial. If we are in the right environment(better than last time) I will be able to deal with the 6 month winter that is coming.
I Already miss the beach and my friends, and would love nothing more than a long lazy afternoon having a few cans and a chat to whoever comes by.
I have started taking some tablets that will help me stop smoking-Champix. After 2 weeks I am still smoking, although much, much less!
I haven't had a drink for 2 weeks, I can't be arsed with the pubs around here, and I have never really enjoyed drinking at home. My brother did offer to take me out last weekend, but I can't stand the idea of Friday/Saturday night in the city. It's a f***ing jungle out there. They show nightlife on the streets of English cities on those reality cop shows, and it is not pretty. Gandhi was right when he was asked-What do you think of Western civilization? And he replied It would be a good idea.
I can't help but notice the dark side of this country, it does shout at you, from the newspapers, from the TV, and ultimately from the streets themselves. I have already been shouted at, seen arguments and I know more will come. I was expecting it, it's not a surprise. People in the UK may feel that I am exaggerating, but if you have lived somewhere else for a long period, then these things stick out . A woman on holiday from Sweden had her hair set alight by a 15 year old on a train last week!If only this was an isolated case, but it's not. Shit like this is happening everyday here. Everybody is outraged, the newspapers scream out their end of the world headlines, but still there seems to be nothing done to find out why these things are increasing, and what our country can do to fix it.

I'm ranting now. I must stop. Here is another quote from Gandhi about England;

This civilisation is irreligion, and it has taken such a hold on the people of Europe that those who are in it appear to be half mad. They lack real strength or courage. They keep their energy by intoxication. They can be hardly happy in solitude.
This civilisation is eating into the vitals of the English nation. ……They [the English] are a shrewd nation and I therefore believe they will cast off the evil. They are enterprising and industrious, and their mode of thought is not inherently immoral. Neither are they bad at heart. I therefore respect them. Civilisation is not an incurable disease, but it should not be forgotten that the English people are affected by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment