Sunday, December 13, 2009

That Christmas feeling

Found myself home alone this morning, so went out to get the paper and some xmas lights and decorations. The town is full of Christmas 'stalls' selling bratwursts, cakes, Paella(!), mulled wine, hot Baileys, Turkey barms and scarves, hats, overpriced handmade decorations and ethnic wares and food. I decided to have my large Americano sat outside under the lights, even though it was only 2c the outdoor tables were packed!
Bizarrely the adjacent stall was selling kangaroo, ostrich, venison and wild boar burgers -I had an extremely tasty kangaroo burger with my coffee. Reading my newspaper with the smell of chestnuts being roasted(corny-but true!), and buskers singing carols, I realised that being here over Christmas definitely feels more festive than being on a beach in the Philippines, or having a barbecue in Hong-Kong. Walking back past the Salvation Army Band, a guy playing xmas tunes on his accordion, and an opera singer, I felt the 'Christmas spirit' about 2 weeks earlier than usual. Now where was that mulled wine?

No comments:

Post a Comment