Sunday, April 25, 2010

Delhi


Day 6.Not a great day yesterday. After the hell that was Delhi, being shut up in a small room with lots of other people who had dared to transit through Delhi airport, they do their upmost to make the experience as unpleasant as possible-they really hate transit passengers there. I was lucky I was only starved, confined and shouted at for 8 hours, there were others who had done 18-24 hours. A certain camaraderie was established though, and hands were shook as people escaped. I got talking to a gay Filipino guy(from Pampanga) on his way back to work(in an American base)in Afghanistan! He assured me that these conditions were normal in Delhi. I did raise the issue with him that the Philippine government had banned Filippinas working in Afghanistan and Iraq, he told me that if you paid the right people in the Philippine immigration dept, that was not a problem. So after a very nice and brief stop in Munich, (I went outside and watched a polo match, and Lufthansa kindly provide free hot drinks and newspapers in the airport) I arrived in good cheer at Prague. I was then stuck in customs for 7 hours. I learnt a valuable lesson yesterday, never assume things will run smoothly, and sleep whenever you get the chance-don't wait. I was so tired that I began to hallucinate as I tried to stay awake. The customs hall would visually blur into one and the sounds of the people became a very sharp echo. I found myself continuously shaking myself out of these mini-trips to see people watching me, and wondering what the hell is that hippy on? Sleep deprivation-the ultimate high!
Luckily I suppose, when I finally arrived (midnight)at the Pensione (hotel) it was in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise I would have been tempted to have a walkabout, the temptation to explore is very strong in a new place. As it was I went straight to sleep, and slept like a log.
I had a walk around before breakfast this morning, and it is very pretty near the Pensione, I must be in the suburbs. I will probably have a quick look around Prague before heading back to the airport, and then I'm not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment