Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Ban smoking?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/stub-it-out-doctors-union-backs-lifelong-cigarettes-ban-for-all-children-born-after-2000-9559374.html

First I must say, I don't disagree with outlawing cigarettes for all those born after the year 2000, nobody wants their children to start smoking, including me.
What gets me is the hypocrisy.  How many people does alcohol kill every year, let's ban that too. How many deaths are caused worldwide by pollution from petrol driven private cars and through accidents? I don't drive and never will, and it pisses me off that I have to breath in the pollution from private cars, and risk my life on the roads as a pedestrian or bus passenger....take a bus! Will sugar, chocolate, and fast food be regulated for those born after 2000? Obesity being another major drain on health resources.
There is also the matter of personal freedom, as long as a smoker for example is not subjecting others to second hand smoke, unlike car owners, then surely it is their own choice. Yes, but it takes valuable resources away from the health service.....so does heart disease and diabetes and a myriad of other illnesses caused by alcohol and eating too much shit, or obesity as it is now called. So do car accidents and so does asthma brought on by the dire pollution in our cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment