Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Great Uncle Chris

This week I learnt that I had become a great uncle. My nephew has a 5 week old daughter. This is my mother's first great grandchild. I had to check that I am actually a great uncle as grand uncle seemed more logical, as the baby is my brother's grandchild. Apparently 'great' is the common term although grand can still be used. Grand uncle seems a bit camp, whereas great is well..great! I was a bit surprised to have greatness thrust upon me at the age of 33, but feel that I can live with it.Not sure that Teosdee is too thrilled though.
Last night was Halloween, so we switched off all the lights and pretended we weren't home.Not really but, not that far off.Kids around here expect money, no apples thank you, and may use the opportunity to case the joint. I did see 30-40 teenagers having a game of cat and mice with the police, but the evening passed off harmless enough.
We are now being treated to a nightly display of the latest fireworks.Bonfire night is on Saturday.The kids are already waiting outside the shops with a bunch of crumpled up old clothes with a balloon inside. I have acquired a definite hearing problem as the kids shout 'penny for the guy'. Is this not the silliest tradition of them all? Trying to explain to Teosdee the reasoning behind it has not been easy, especially the part about burning the effigy on top of a bonfire.Trying to justify going to watch it has been even harder.
I have enrolled on an Open University course- Diploma in English Studies, which consists of 2 parts- The Art of English, which definitely sounds interesting, and English-Past,Present, and Future which did, does and will sound challenging.I did am and will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment