Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Stick your head in the oven!

The gritters and the snowploughs have been started up and they are ready to go.The arctic weather arrives tomorrow evening.They have been warning us for nearly a week now.Traffic disruption is expected-Why? Even when they have a week to prepare this country still can't and wont get ready.It is winter, but yet they seem surprised by the onset of snow and ice. It has apparently been mild here for the last 8 years so most people have forgotten what a real winter is like.The weathermen say this winter will be the worst since 1967.They are quite certain about this, but yet they can't tell me if it will rain tomorrow! The Prime Minister spoke to parliament today about possible gas shortages, because of the cold weather.He also spoke about doctors running out of flu vaccinations.This is due to the population panicking about bird flu and rushing to their doctor's and demanding to be injected with something that only helps against your run of the mill winter flu.This has left none for the poor old dears who actually need to be vaccinated against 'normal' flu.
Government ineptitude is not limited to the SAR govt by a long shot.Being a twat is a worldwide epidemic, with no known cure at the moment.
Gary Glitter made the front page of one of the tabloids this week- 'Pervy Glitter faces firing squad' serves him right really. The Chinese president visited last week and stayed at Buckingham Palace.I wonder did Prince Philip or Charles for that matter insult him. Prince Charles is suing a tabloid this week for publishing parts of his journal where he referred to the Chinese leaders as waxworks.Prince Philip once referred to them as 'slitty eyed'. It's no wonder that we are charged more for visas when visiting China.
Liverpool is full of drunken Spaniards this afternoon.Liverpool are playing Real Betis this evening.Not sure where 'Betis' is but they seem like a friendly, lively lot. Many pubs will close tonight at 11pm and reopen at 12.01 as the new licensing laws come into effect at midnight. I finish my Mandarin course at 9pm and am very tempted.
How long will I stay here? That is the million dollar question. I promised Teosdee 2 years , I cannot see me staying longer than that. School is great for Joseph.There is no teaching work here in Liverpool for me.I can't see me doing any other job.I miss teaching. After next summer I think it will be hard for me to stay on here. I miss the world.The UK seems such a small place. The shops will start opening later this week for Christmas shopping, I can now go shopping until 7pm, sometimes even 8pm.Practically the middle of the night!!! The most popular programme on TV now is called ' I'm a celebrity...get me out of here' it is basically 'survivor' with famous people. I say famous but I haven't heard of any of them. Broadband is advertised with great gusto with up to 1mbs bandwidth, in hongkong this figure is now up to 100mbs. I cannot get caller display on my homephone. A cheque still takes 5 days to clear at the bank!I have started keeping the oven lit and open to warm the house up!
Still not smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment