Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Super Typhoon



I watched a programme here(on channel 5) last night about a super typhoon. It was a kind of disaster science documentary-set in Hong Kong. The general gist being: a Super Typhoon hits Hong Kong head on. Now, a few years ago Teosdee and I stood on Pui-o beach
on Lantau in HK as the eye of a Typhoon was overhead.Typhoon signal 10 had been raised and it was very scary, as trees, power lines and various other debris flew by-except when the eye came over. Admittedly it was quite a stupid thing to be doing during, but it was exhilirating.
In this documentary,where all Hong-Kong people spoke perfect English! Hong Kong was decimated by this Super Typhoon(called Viper-ha ha). The programme used real footage of stormy days in Hong Kong to get the point across-including the Star Ferry still running as buildings and slopes collapsed.
I'd hoped that at least someone had watched it at work, so that I could tell them that actually not all Typhoons form in the North East Pacific but can form in the South China Sea, and of course that I had experienced a few super typhoons myself and they weren't all that bad-but it was not to be.
Although a load of tosh, it did make me homesick.
Teosdee started work this week, so it looks as though we will make it to Hk and the Philippines over xmas and new year.Jack starts nursery on Friday, Joseph starts Primary school-proper next week.I worry we may be robbed when the house is empty!
pics are from Camelot Theme Park in Lancashire-great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment