Friday, September 15, 2006

free speech

If I quote Hitler, does that make me a Nazi? even if my aim is to show that he was wrong. If I quote Marx, does that make me a marxist or communist? Can we now, no longer
partake in analysis of views, which may be outdated or even inflammatory? Who controls what we can say? Most countries do now have laws which make it illegal to inflame hatred and racism.Surely that is enough.
Is it my imagination or don't we hear threats of death towards infidels
and such, coming from certain areas of the globe everyday?These are shouted by prominent leaders, without comment on the streets of the west.
Incitement to violence and religious intolerance is wrong, and in this sad age of fanaticisim should be controlled.This has to be a two way street though.
The theological rambling of a man trying to promote inter-denominational peace is just that, and nothing more.Should he he apologise for discussing the views of a man who lived 700 years ago-hell no! If he does, or any other religious leaders in this country do, I may be forced to join the many marches that would follow to protect free speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment