Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Time for change?

So, the great American democracy rears it's head again today.
Will they hurt Bush? During the last election 2 years ago, many British people gave their opinions freely,as they obviously did not support George W.
A lot of Americans were incensed that Brits had dared to interfere.I can see their point, but you have to admit that the president of the U.S. can have a major impact on global affairs, especially war and the environment.
These elections may also have an effect as Congress has the power to control the actions of the president, to a certain extent.
Ultimately the choice is the American people's and there, as here, they deserve whoever wins.That is the point of democracy.
People here complained bitterly about Thatcher for 17 years, as people now complain about Blair.That puzzles the hell out of me, it is almost as though there was noone who actually voted for them.
I voted for the first time here during the summer, it was the first time that I had been in the country during an election since I turned 18 (many years ago).
In Hong Kong, people don't deserve the government that they have, as the government is not directly elected.
I have marched for democracy every year except this year in Hong Kong-so far, to no avail.
I will march again next year, and I will vote, as soon as the first general elections take place-whenever that may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment