Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring forward, Fall back.

The clocks go forward this Saturday. For me, this is a little like the finishing line of a marathon.
If you can imagine the coldest night of the year in Hong-Kong, after a dreary, windy day, taking the slow ferry(to Lantau) with the wind howling through the boat, and then waiting for a bus for half an hour at 3am, and for some obscure reason the 7-11 is closed, and so is everything else.
This is how it is here, for 5 months solid! I have said it before, but even finishing work at 6pm, it is dark and cold. The city doesn't spring to life next week, just because it is light at six, but at least it feels safer, and it's less cold. I've done two winters here now, and I seriously hope not to do another. If you have to choose Christmas or summer to come home, go for summer every time. Autumn,Christmas and Winter are completely crap here, give it a miss. ' Man' came from tropical Africa, why we ever headed so far North, is beyond me.We(I) are obviously not suited to this climate.
I have started to to brush up the kid's Chinese, with at least half an hour of (Pimsluer's) Cantonese everyday, and for the first time I have let Joseph use the computer to play a game. The 'game' is actually The Rosetta Stone Mandarin language learning software, but he loves it. Joseph sang Happy Birthday to my dad in Spanish over the weekend, and he is forever telling me what Spanish words mean, I think he's learning them in school, but I can't be sure!
70 days until Barcelona.

No comments:

Post a Comment