Friday, April 14, 2006

If you can't take the heat...

I sat out in the garden today, catching up with my studies. It was 12c...but sunny!
I will work tomorrow-Easter Saturday,I swapped with a colleague so that I can take Teosdee to the airport in 2 weeks.
Shortly after arriving in the UK last July, I had to go to the Liverpool Dental hospital to have a tooth taken out. I could not find a dentist who was taking new patients.During the last 8 months I tried again periodically as and when i passed a dentist-but to no avail.
On Monday one of my front teeth cracked and fell out-I was devastated. I called 20 dentists and was told "there is a 5 month waiting list" "we haven't taken new patients for 10 years" ...and lots of other similar excuses.
I was told to call the local Primary Care Trust-the local NHS. After a few hours they called me and gave me the number of a dental surgery which was taking new patients. They gave me an appointment for Wednesday.I swallowed my pride and went to work on Tuesday with my speech impaired.
On Wednesday, as I sat down in the dentist's chair the c##t of a dentist said " I can only treat you today as a private patient" After arguing with him that i had registered and booked an appointment as an NHS patient, he took a look at my non existing tooth and told me if I paid or not he could not treat me as he was going on paternity leave!
As i stood in the reception to re-book my appointment and being told that the next available appointment would be a week on Thursday I nearly lost it.The problem was, that after not being able to see a dentist for 9 months-and their attitude being "you can always try somewhere else" I could not lose it. I had to be cool and polite-even though I had taken the day off for a non-existent appointment and would have to wait another 8 days, and even then they would not fix my toothless(not quite) grin.
Last month here, people queued around the block to register at a dental clinic which had opened up it's register. My tooth will probably still be missing by the time i get to Hong-Kong in May.
For me it is just another nail in the coffin of my chances of staying here for any length of time. Not sure if i can still sing House of the Rising Sun with one front tooth-must practise.

No comments:

Post a Comment